AA Legal Documents
Law guide

Complaints about taxis or private hire vehicles


Making a complaint

If you have a problem with a taxi or minicab driver's behaviour, or you believe a vehicle to be unlicensed, report it immediately. Be sure to take down the vehicle licence number (printed on the number plate or disc), and the driver's licence number, (normally on the badge). The licence can be found on a white plate on the rear of the vehicle or on the inside of the passenger compartment. The licence number consists of five digits (e.g.12345). Drivers are required to display their licence badge at all times, and are required to make the number available if requested.

Complaining about taxis

For taxis, report your complaint directly to either the Public Carriage Office(PCO) in London or your local authority outside London.

Complaining about private hire vehicles

For private hire vehicles or minicabs, you can try to resolve the complaint through the operating company. If you are not happy with the outcome or you feel your complaint is more serious, then make your complaint to the Public Carriage Office if you are in London, or if you are outside London, make your complaint to your local authority - most have taxi complaint forms which can be found on their websites.

Northern Ireland

If you are unhappy with the fare, quality of vehicle, driving or behaviour of the driver, or have any other issue, make your complaint to the driver or the taxi company.

Try to note the taxi's licence plate number, the driver's badge number, time of the incident, date and location it took place or as much information as possible. Explain in detail what went wrong, stay calm and stick to the facts.

If you cannot get the complaint resolved with the driver or taxi company, contact:

Driver and Vehicle Agency

Reporting a crime

If the behaviour involves a criminal act, then you should also report it to the police. In an emergency call 999.