AA Legal Documents
Law guide

Job grant


Job Grant is a one-off tax-free payment when you or your partner or civil partner start work and stop getting benefits.

Who is eligible?

You can claim Job Grant if you take up full-time work (at least 16 hours a week) and you expect the work to last for at least five weeks. You must also have been claiming one of the following benefits for at least 26 weeks before starting your new job:

  • Jobseeker's Allowance (over 25s only or lone parents of any age)
  • Income Support
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Severe Disablement Allowance

You may also get Job Grant if your partner or civil partner starts working at least 24 hours a week, and as a result your benefit stops.

How much do you get?

The amount of Job Grant you will get depends on your circumstances:

  • £100 for single people and couples and civil partnerships without children
  • £250 for lone parents and couples and civil partnerships with children

Effect on benefits or tax credits

Job Grant is tax-free and doesn't reduce other benefits or tax credits you may be entitled to once you start work.

If you qualify for the Job Grant, you'll also be eligible for Extended Council Tax Benefit and Extended Housing Benefit.

How to claim

You'll automatically get Job Grant so long as you're eligible. You just need to make sure you tell your Jobcentre Plus Office that you're starting work. You'll be paid in the same way as you were paid benefits.

How to appeal

The Department for Work and Pensions has produced a leaflet explaining the process.